Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Research

Ready for some more?

Okay so I think so far in my story I had decided to get a BAHA and insurance would cover it ( my total for everything came close to $30,000) and I scheduled my surgery. Side note: see if you can schedule your appointments to have your processor put on at this point. I waited until after several follow up appointments and they had trouble finding me a day at the 3 month mark because for some reason I need to see both the audiologist and the surgeon so I have to wait 3 months and 3 weeks :/. I should let you know that I had my surgery on Nov. 4th 2013 and don't yet have my processor.

At this point  I started doing research and imaging what it would be like to have this post sticking out of my head. I looked at all the pictures in the information packet but my post is a lot more forward and a little higher up than I imagined. It is also thicker but shorter than I imagined. They should really include and actual photograph of an actual person with just the post. Keep in mind when you are going through that Cochlear packet that they are promoting their product and are only going to showcase all the positives. I knew that they would have to cut away some tissue and I would have an indent in my head around the post but didn't really know what to expect. I found this surgery guide put out by Cochlear for surgeons and was expecting that one of these techniques listed would be performed on me.

After seeing my incision I did some more specific searching and found this post. Warning: This is actual photographs of an actual surgery. http://www.dallashear.com/cochlear-implant-operation.html

What I found when I took my bandages was nothing like any of these but more on that later. Also, it seems to me like these processors are like cell phones, there is always a newer version on the way out so ask your audiologist what specific processor you will be getting and if they know when the new version will be out.

Before my surgery I had to tell my audiologist my color choice. This was a tough one for me. It was hard to find a good picture of the colors on the Cochlear website and none of the shades they had would be perfect for my hair. Plus on different pages on the site they were presented in different shades from the page before. So see if your audiologist maybe has some examples of colors when you go in for your hearing test.

This is one of the pages I used to pick a color even though it is for a BAHA 3 and I will be receiving a BAHA 4.

Are you still with me?
I also used this  page (Cochlear Product Guide) and it has pictures of the abutment (piece that sticks out of head) and processor colors.

I just found this, has some good info and pictures: http://umm.edu/programs/hearing/services/baha-implant

I didn't really know what to expect for the surgery or after. I found this page and it gave me a little bit of an idea of what to expect. It would have been nice if my clinic had provided me with something like this. Actually on the day of my surgery not even the nurses knew what hand-out to send me home with and I had to explain to them what I was having done and what it was called. Should have been a warning to me right there how often this surgery is done at my hospital.

Some more things I didn't think about and I should have are if you wear glasses or hats. You might not be able to wear hats with your processor on because it will cause feedback. If you have glasses you will want to wear them the day of surgery and have your surgeon mark where they land on your head so he can place your implant appropriately out of the way. I did this but I think I will still have problems with my glasses. As I mentioned I don't have my processor yet so I'll let you know about glasses and hats after I get it.

Also, the processor should not be exposed to extreme temperatures. Okay, common sense right? Well they shouldn't be used when its colder than 40 F. If you live in the north where 6 months of the year are colder than 40 F like I do, this might be a problem. I will ask my audiologist about this when I get my processor.

Cochlear has a facebook page and they are good about answering questions posted.

Also, when you are deciding to get a BAHA or not keep in mind, and ask your audiologist, about daily maintenance. You will have to buy batteries, battery doors have to be replaced twice a year and currently cost $39 and you will need a hearing aid dryer with heat (prices are around $50-$100). And depending on your model may need drying bricks replaced every month. These are all things I found I am going to need through research and have not yet been discussed with me by my surgeon or audiologist.

I am going to attempt to post a photo of the colors that Cochlear emailed me when I asked for clearer colors. Wish me luck!
 
I did it!
 
I also just figured out how to add links instead of typing the whole address out so please let me know if you find any that are incorrect or there a repeat of any of the links.

No comments:

Post a Comment